No coins were minted in Zurich during the time of the Helvetic Republic (1798-1803). But as soon as the French had left the country, the Swiss cantons started to introduce their old coins again.
The Zurich mint was reopened in 1806 under the surveillance of the newly formed canton of Zurich. Initially coins worth 4 batzen were struck; some years later, coins of 8 batzen were struck. The legend, formerly in Latin, now reads CANTON ZÜRICH.