In the region around the Lake of Constance circulated a special form of bracteates during the 12th and 13th centuries. These bracteates were of small diameter and characterized by a special type of rim: until about 1230, the edge was ornamented with a ring collar and a circle of big pearls. The archetypes for these bracteates were the coins from the bishops of Constance. This bracteate was minted during the rule of Bishop Konrad of Tegernfeld (1209-1233). It has all the characteristics of a typical Constance bracteate: the diameter is merely 20 millimeters, the coin is framed by a circle of pearls and a ring collar, and the image is symmetrical.