The city of Constance became immediate to the emperor in the year 1192. At the same time, the bishops of Constance began their coinage. The coins depicted the bishops with their clerical insignia, the mitra and the episcopal staff.
At that time, Constance and Zurich belonged to the same currency district. Coins like this bracteate were called the Constance pfennigs, which is proof of how important they were for local and regional trade.