In the 14th century, the Dukes of Burgundy ranked among the most powerful feudatories of the French kings. As such, they had the privilege to issue coins. One of the Burgundian mints was located in the town of Dijon, where this coin was struck. The coin is an issue of Hugh V (1305-1315). The inscription on the obverse reads VGO BVRGVNDIE DVX, the reverse indicates the place of minting, DIVIONENSIS.